Sunday, October 11, 2009

Talking Points #3

Carlson "Gayness, Multiculturalism and Community"




1. "Thus, the words "homosexual," "gay," "lesbian," and "queer" have histories we have to consider when we invoke them. Homosexual is an ostensibly neutral category, one designed by scientists; and yet its usage may involve a scientific distancing from the homosexual object of study and a refusal to see the political and cultural elements of sexual identity. "Gay" and Lesbian" or "gay men" and "lesbians" are the most "politically correct" labels, although their usage tends to further divide and separate men and women when in fact homophobia and oppression are directed against homosexuals as a group." (235)

- When I first read this passage it reminded me about Johnson's article about power and difference, particularly his argument about using the correct terminology. I had no prior knowledge of the history suggested by the various terms used to describe the LGBT community. I use the terms "homosexual," "gay," and "lesbian" interchangeably without a second thought and with no consideration for the separation and divisions they imply. This is particularly because these terms don't apply to myself personally, so I do not experience their effects and rarely do I ever have the opportunity to witness them. I was particularly interested in Carlson's statement about how the terms "gay" and "lesbian," while politically correct, further divide men and women.

2. "To the extent that gayness is recognized in the curriculum, it is likely to be in the health curriculum, where it is associated with disease." (237)

- Last weekend I saw RIC's mainstage production of Angels in America. Before I even had the opportunity to read this article I was reminded of this class because of the play's content dealing with issues of diversity and prejudice against homosexuals. Clearly connecting homosexuality with the AIDs epidemic, the play takes place during the Regan campaign and criticizes his disengagement and ignorance of the spread and effect of AIDs. This quote from Carlson lead me to wonder what damage was done by the governmental ignorance of the AIDs epidemic and its promotion as a disease restricted to homosexuals, Haitians, and intravenous drug users.

3. "The official policy in most school districts is in fact identical to that of the U.S. military, namely: "Don't ask, don't tell." Interestingly, while the policy is being challenged by gays in the military, it has not been forcefully challenged by gay teachers in public schools yet, perhaps because they feel (probably rightly so) they could not win if they pushed their case."

- I don't understand the logic in the military's "don't ask, don't tell policy." What harm can come to the military if a homosexual man or woman decide to join their ranks? While the nature of such a policy, unfortunately, protects homosexuals in the long run I find it to be ridiculous and counter effective to the progress of acceptance of multiculturalism. However, homosexuals are inadvertently protected from the aggression of their heterogeneous peers. Also, the same applies to the idea of gay school teachers. I hadn't considered that very few if any of my f the former teachers were openly gay. I wonder if it would have made a significant difference in the attitudes and respect of their students and peers. While this doesn't apply to all school systems, I feel like my high school would have been accepting of any homosexual faculty and staff members.

No comments:

Post a Comment